Roleplaying for beginners - Tipps and Tricks
(this might get long)
You just started a rp blog? Congratulations! Now you might think “Wow, there are so many good people, now I want to rp myself!”
Well, that’s the spirit! But there are a few things that you can and probably will do wrong the first times. Don’t worry, we all started out not knowing everything. :)
This contains everything from Setting up a blog, to rping, to communication with your rp partners. Under a cut because it’s long.
Step 1: Set up a blog
So there you are, having a blog. But what now? What should be on your blog?
These are the basic things you should think of while making your blog:
- Choose a url that doesn’t contain too many dashes. Perfect is an url without dashes at all.
- Track the tag that is your url, for my url (Banner-and-barton) that would be bannerandbarton. If People will Rp with you (we’re not there yet!), they will tag you with this in starters or greeters when you follow them, so you can see what goes on around your account.
- Choose a theme that suits your character. It shouldn’t be too flashy, because people will be on your blog and if it hurts their eyes, they will be out of it again very fast. You should make sure that the font is big enough, because if people read replies on your page and the font is too tiny, they won’t want to read it at all.
- Your blog should contain the following things: Your muse (your character), a short (or long, that’s up to you) description of your muse and their background, what faceclaim you use for your character (pictures are helpful, tagged with a “fc”, so you can find it back again easily.), the muses relationships, if you will have some and whatever you want to let your partners know about you and your muse.
- Don’t overload your blog. Everyone likes information, but if it’s too much or too many links or if it’s too confusing, people will not look at it.
Step 2: Following and Followers
So, you made a blog and fixed your theme. Tracked your tag. Now up for interactions, right? Not exactly.
Please keep in mind that no one knows that your blog exists. No one does. You have to make people notice you. But please, don’t force others to talk to you!
- First of all, you should follow a few blogs. To find those, you should just go into the tag of your fandom, for example Avengers and add “rp”, to find fellow rpers out of your fandom. (You can of course follow other fandoms, too. Crossovers are welcome too!) and just follow a few blogs. If they do greeters for you, you can interact with them and attract people to follow you through showing up on their page and their follower’s dashboards.
- Please don’t expect people to follow you back. Most of them will most likely do it, but if they don’t, don’t be mad. I have over 600 followers, I can’t follow every single follower. And others have 1000+ followers. It would only clog up their dash and make them lose track.
Step 3: Followers, Greeters and Rp
Okay. Wonderful. You have a blog, you have some people you follow and you have a follower or two? See, this works perfectly!
Now, back to the greeters.
Greet your followers. If you gain one, make up a post for them, with your muse greeting theirs. Like a little starter. Most people write a simple oneliner, add a gif of their character and tag them.
- Before you rp with someone, read their blog. Their headcanons, the background story, something you have to know. Something that your chara will notice right away, something that’s not like others.
- Now this is important. Tag people in your starters/greeters/replies. If you interact with a person, add their tag on the bottom of the page. To use the right tag, do the same as with your URL. (Remember, banner-and-barton to bannerandbarton? Do the same with their url.)
- Rping should be fun. To keep it easy and funny/interesting, please take care of your grammar. No one is going to hate you if you make a mistake, really. But if there are so many mistakes that you can’t read it anymore, people won’t want to read it or reply to it.
- Reblog as text. Now this confuses many people, but it’s possible and really easy!
See this up there? If you reblog something that’s a bit longer, please make sure that not Link is selected but text.
- Speaking of reblogging. If you see that your posts get really long to scroll down, because there are too many replies already, simply delete all replies but your and your partners last reply before reblogging. You will have to cut them down, because it will get really annoying for both of you and your followers to scroll down so long.
- If you reblog something, you can see that grey bar, right? Right, you have to click under it to add your reply. I’ll show that to you:
This is your partners reply.
Don’t just press enter and write under it.
This is your partners reply
This is your reply. See? It’s not that bad. And not hard at all, I promise!
- If someone doesn’t reply fast enough for you and starts replying to others first or continues to, please don’t feel like you’re a bad rper. Because you probably aren’t. You can remind your partner of the reply, but don’t bug them. Sometimes people just don’t have the muse for a certain thread or just feel more comfortable in another thread. Don’t get mad at them. You will see, the more you write, that you will feel the same.
- To make your character likeable, don’t start godmodding. Godmodding means something like this “He pulled out his gun and shot x in the head, so he’s dead.”
People will most possibly stop responding really fast. If your character gets into a fight, let them fight. But never, never just decide that your character hits the other. Because some characters are either well trained and are able to avoid getting hit or even have magic. Speak to your rp partner!
- If your character ends up having sex ( Congratulations.), make sure you and your rp partner are over 18 or whatever age is the legal age to write something like that in their/your country. Just make sure you don’t write smut with minors. And if you are a minor, please step back. Skip it. It can get both of you in trouble.
Also, put the smut under a read more or at least tag it with “nsfw”.
Most important of all: Communication.
Speak to the people. Speak to your rp partner. Learn about them.
- Most of the people love a well thought plot and someone who actually cares for what happens to the characters in the future. Talk to your partner about your characters and the story. About fights and even deaths.
- People are more likely to rp with you if they know you. But don’t bug them. If they don’t respond right away, they could be distracted by writing something (Like I am right now writing this long ass text. :3)
Dos and Don’ts:
- Improve your writing.
- Write headcanons about your character (Don’t steal them.) They can be little things like “How my character likes his bubble bath”. Anything, really.
- Have fun
- Enjoy what you’re doing.
- Reply to things when you can.
- Pressure yourself
- Reply when you’re not in the mood for it
- Play in 1st person. Most people rp in 3rd person and if you rp in first person, it will make them confused. If you really want to rp in 1st person, I will be the last to hold you back, but it’s a well meant tip.
- Send hate to others because they dropped your thread/stopped talking to you/did anything you don’t like.
- Judge other ships. If you don’t ship anything, it’s okay, you can tell them that, but let other people ship whatever they want. And if it’s the toaster with the soap.
If you have anything left you want to know, feel free to hit me up in my askbox. I’d be glad to help you with your blog/theme/rp. :)